Saturday, February 4, 2012

Self Sufficient Farming

Today I am writing about self sufficient farming.  In the past two years, my family and I have been experimenting in different ways how a city family can survive in the country environment.  It was definitely hard at times but it is well worth it.  In our blogs from now on, we are going to starting giving tips on how to stay self sufficient.  And what I mean about self sufficient is the ability to provide your own food with hard work in the beginning but reaping the rewards in the end.

I decided to start a new format of our blogs, due to a conversation that I had with a customer at work today.  I realized how much I enjoyed the farming life and the ability to use the skills I have learned here in Greene County, GA.  How much I love the ability to be able to walk out the door and smell fresh air and not smog.  Don't get me wrong, I am going to be giving information to the "city folks" and well as the country folks.  This new format is for everyone and anyone who wishes to read it.

So this is what everyone needs to be prepared for:
  1) How to establish a site for a pig pen and building it.
  2) How to care for pigs that are raised for food
  3) How to establish a raised bed for a garden
  4) How to have a garden in any type of soil and what soil amendments to use
  5) How to raise chickens for both eggs and meat

These are a few of the things to be looking forward to in the month ahead.  Keep checking in with us and stay informed.  Thank you for checking out our site.

No comments:

Post a Comment